Saturday, September 27, 2008

Mahalabia....

Inspired by sister Lubna's interest in my plates...I'm trying to put up more Egyptian recipes...

Mahalabia...Egyptian Pudding...

This is a very simple dish that I enjoyed as a child ...my granny made the most delish mahalabia....
& mom always made this cause it's so quick to make...
I was never successful at making it ....but I tried my hand at it again...& voila it's a success......

I did not use a recipe ...I just eye ball the ingredients...roughly I use 1 Tbsp of corn starch for every cup of milk

but for a recipe with specific ingredients...here's one

2 cups whole milk
2 Tbsp. corn starch dissolved in 1/2 cup cold water
sugar ( amount varies according to preference)
rose water / vanilla...optional
Walnuts or pistachios,crushed

In large sauce pan ,heat the milk , sugar & flavourings
Add the dissolved corn starch & stir with wooden spoon until the mixture thickens & coats the back of the spoon...

Pour into individual serving dishes & garnish with any of the following

Walnuts or Pistachios,crushed
Cinnamon...my favourite...yummy
Raisins

Enjoy!!!!

2 comments:

lubnakarim06 said...

Wow looks gr8 and yummy.

umelbanat said...

It tastes graet 2 dear ...try it & tell me what you think...